Tuesday, February 16, 2010

White space

Returning from Asia a few weeks ago, a friend in Japan encouraged me to “get some white space” in my life. As fellow publications writers and editors, she and I appreciate white space on a page. White space in life is harder, but without it, the spirit, mind, and body collapse into chaos.

Today is a white space day.

The alarm hasn’t gone off yet when I rise in the dark at 6:45, but I’m done sleeping. For me, the first order of life is coffee, and the kitchen is my favorite spot in the house. However, last night we found evidence that we’d been gone too much and we set a mousetrap under the sink. I check it first thing and yes, there's small mouse in trap. The house is ours again.

Coffee started, I create a simple breakfast before calling the man of the house to come. His first order of business is to dispose of the mouse. It’s not that I’m afraid of mice but if this is my white space day, he can deal with disposal of mice. He’s also working at home today so we sit at the counter talking for a time over the second cup of coffee, then reading in two different directions. I’m in 1 Peter this week, and he appears to be in Ecclesiastes.

The next white activity is shoveling a few inches off the driveway. Perhaps it’s a strange affection but I love shoveling fresh snow on a cold morning. There’s a rhythm to plowing back and forth across the drive that is both relaxing and exhilarating.

A white space day includes the normal drill of life – laundry, cleaning, catching up on email, but today I take time to browse a store in search of a few specific items for travel next month. I hate shopping, but today I wander, try things on, text the Dragon with a question about a sweater she might like, retrace my steps, chat with the woman hanging shirts. Next is the library to drop off books. Two weeks ago I actually sat with a cup of coffee in a corner among the stacks, book in hand. A good white space activity, but today I don’t need books so I go on to a second store where again I do more than search, grab, and fly. There is absolutely no one here today and it’s fun to just explore. Maybe the sheets of white fluff falling outside have discouraged the crowds, or maybe I’ve never been here on a Tuesday morning.

Home again I unload the car, put things away, grab a handful of almonds, and again sit and watch the snow falling outside. I open my computer and catch up on some correspondence. Later we’ll go out for a late lunch/early dinner since we both have meetings tonight.

White space. On a page it gives the sense of rest and balance while focusing attention on what is really important. In life it does the same thing. In my life, it doesn’t happen enough, and since I am a confessing workaholic, that is largely my own fault. Today is a day to step back, breathe, think, read, and focus. I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

1 comment:

Ministry Mom said...

Tuesdays are great shopping days. Around here they are the Senior Citizen discount days in an effort to get someone, anyone, in the store.

Several years ago I had a lot of white space. Life changes had altered my routines and the demands of full time employment were replaced by newly retired and new in community space.

This year I'm conscous that my white space is surprisingly smaller. Adjustment needed! Thanks for sharing your life.